Saturday, December 29, 2012

My what an unusual name you have...

  So as most everyone knows, Quentin Tarantino has recently put out a movie called Django Unchained.  I want to see the movie, but have not as of yet.  If you have not heard of the movie, here is the synopsis from Rotten Tomatoes: "Set in the South two years before the Civil War, Django Unchained stars Jamie Foxx as Django, a slave whose brutal history with his former owners lands him face-to-face with German-born bounty hunter Dr. King Schultz (Christoph Waltz). Schultz is on the trail of the murderous Brittle brothers, and only Django can lead him to his bounty. Honing vital hunting skills, Django remains focused on one goal: finding and rescuing Broomhilda (Kerry Washington), the wife he lost to the slave trade long ago. Django and Schultz's search ultimately leads them to Calvin Candie (Leonardo DiCaprio), the proprietor of "Candyland," an infamous plantation. Exploring the compound under false pretenses, Django and Schultz arouse the suspicion of Stephen (Samuel L. Jackson), Candie's trusted house slave. -- (C) Weinstein"   If you've ever seen a Tarantino movie, then you should be well aware that he is not afraid of dropping the "n" bomb freely.  For me, a movie is a movie is a movie, and that's all it is, unless otherwise stated it is based on true events. For this reason, I am very rarely offended by them.  I have learned that others do not take certain things so lightly.

  I have seen a few articles regarding Spike Lee's reaction to this movie, that he hasn't seen.  Spike Lee has made it very clear that he does not appreciate what Quentin Tarantino has done with this movie, or any of his previous movies regarding the "n" bomb.  Spike Lee has also criticized Tyler Perry and his portrayal of black people within his movies.  I have an issue with Spike Lee's objections for a few reasons.  One reason I have an issue with his negativeness is because of just that, the negativity.... for what?  If one was so inclined to be such a voice regarding the black community, then I would think that one would be more supportive in regards to those who are contributing to the black community in different ways.  Quentin Tarantino has given many black actors and actresses roles, which I have heard is not the easiest thing to acquire in Hollywood.  I am also inclined to believe had this movie been made by anyone else, it might not have gathered the attention that it has, therefore creating a more broader audience. 

  Tyler Perry has created jobs for black actors as well as created movies and plays that a lot of black people can identify with in one way or another and what's wrong with that?  I cannot for the life of me understand why Spike Lee would go so far as to try to tear down what someone else is creating instead of trying to build them up.  Why create division in such a small community like that of sucessful black figures in Hollywood?  Don't get me wrong, when it comes to Tyler Perry's network shows, you probably won't catch me rushing home to catch it on TV, neither am I devoted follower of Quentin Tarantino's work, but I can appreciate what they are doing nonetheless.

  With so much going on within the black community, why get all riled up about a movie?!  There are so many more important issues that deserve attention.  Understanding and encouragement go much further than sour feelings and angry words.  With all of that being said, I hope that when I see the movie, my feelings aren't contradicted.....

No comments:

Post a Comment