Saturday, December 8, 2012

You call it talking.... I call it being hammered at...

  Have you ever been in a discussion with someone and it begins to get heated?  We all know what happens when one person gets upset during a discussion, even if both people get upset.... It becomes a "listen to me now" shouting match.  The most irritating thing when talking to someone is knowing that they are not actually listening, but only waiting for their turn to talk.  If you're not trying to hear my point, then why are we even having this so-called discussion?  Communication is so important in every single relationship that is formed.  Being a good talker is just as important as being a good listener and vice versa.  Sometimes we get so caught up in trying to get our point across that we never stop and take the time to just listen.  Listening and hearing someone can get you very far, validating someone else's point of view might just help them realize that they also need to listen to yours. 

  It's very frustrating to be having a conversation with someone, have it turn into a debate and then realize (through listening) that you both are talking about 2 different things.  I have seen people go on and on, back and forth, all the while not even realizing they have both drifted off into 2 different directions.  One of my pet peeves is being cut off while I'm talking, and if you know me, then you know this, lol.  If I am in the middle of talking, talking over me is just about the rudeness thing you can do to me, you might as well spit in my face and tell me I'm nothing.  It's so easy to get upset and riled up about the smallest things, and I am definitely guilty of doing this, but we just have to realize that we have to check ourselves before we can decide to check someone else.  Look at yourself and see what am I doing to help this conversation be more productive, maybe I should just stop talking and take a breath and calm down.  When two people are screaming at each other, nothing is being accomplished, just drama being created. 

No comments:

Post a Comment