Sunday, November 18, 2012

Classic without Class is just... embarrassing...

  I respect everyone and every culture for their differences, as well as find a lot of them interesting and admirable.  What I witnessed today was....nothing short of grossly ridiculous.  Every year around Thanksgiving there is an event that happens in Orlando that I think is called the Florida Classic.  I'm not the most knowledgeable about this event, I think there is a football game?  There is definitely a car show and herein lies my issue.  The car show itself is impressive to a point I suppose.  It is not something that I can personally validate, spending so much money to make one's car be a rolling Hello Kitty advert or look like a box of Nerds candy?  To each his own, though right?  It is what it is, I have no problem encouraging the celebration of  something that many people enjoy while it brings them together.  What I do have a problem with is grown adults acting like complete fools in the middle of a heavily trafficked street.  My mother kinda made me feel as though I am thinking too deeply about this, maybe I am being a little too cynical she thinks....  I don't know, I feel that I am just sick of the trifling, sad, and sorry things my eyes happen to come upon a daily basis.  I'm tired of so many people not living up to even half of their potential.  I get angry and embarrassed because I know these people can do better and should want to do better, yes especially black people.  We have come so far as a people and at the same time, not far at all.

  Things such as the display I witnessed earlier, sitting in traffic for over thirty minutes while people are acting just plain ignorant is too much for me to bear when I think about it.  This, along with so many other things are a problem, a serious problem.  Yet I see a traveling picture on Facebook of a beautiful black baby with a pacifier that looks like a gold grill, and THIS is what gets black people upset.  Lol, it is maddening that with so much going on in this world, within the black community alone, that a pacifier is what people choose to focus on, because THAT is a huge issue.....a frickin p a c i f i e r.... But I am not one to bitch and moan without attempting to help, one of my favorite sayings is: If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem; because it's so true!  My frustration can only be justified as long as I am willing to do my part in making things better.  So excited to get this organization off the ground and running, because it is so overdue.




No comments:

Post a Comment