Wednesday, November 21, 2012

They are human beings, DUH!

  I absolutely love drag queens, going to a drag show on the weekend is definitely my definition of a great time.  I just enjoy the celebration of what they represent, they do what is true to them, and I can always get on board with that.  I record RuPaul's Drag Race every Monday night and watch it in the morning before I go to work, and most of the time, my daughter comes into my room, as I take her to daycare before I go to work.  Someone asked me how could I let my daughter watch that show, and that they thought it was not suitable for children to watch.  I was taken back by this statement, because I honestly did not know or understand what that meant.  This is not a show where they are having sexual relations with one another, there's just nothing outlandish about this show besides the yelling back and forth and sometimes cattiness, and then it hit me that they were talking about men dressing up as women.  How is that inappropriate for children, these men are just being who they are, why would my daughter not be able to watch this?  This is the real world, am I going to shield my daughter from everything that could be possibly taboo?  That is just silly, my daughter loves this show just as much as I do, because they're doing crazy hair, makeup, and just having fun, am I going to tell my daughter she can't watch this?  Am I going to place a stigma on something that doesn't need a stigma?  My daughter is like her mother, open-minded and open-hearted and I wouldn't wanna change that for anything in the world.  I don't let her listen to rap music or watch sexually oriented teen shows or violence, because those are the things we should be careful when exposing our children to it, not people being people.



No comments:

Post a Comment